Securing files

Timothy W. Grove tim_grove at sil.org
Wed Feb 23 14:48:06 EST 2011

Hello Folks,

In a python application that I'm developing I've been asked to add
security to databases that the program might create and access; the
database is to be password protected by its creator. The application
uses an SQLite database, which could be changed for another back-end if
that would offer better security, but I would still like to use an
embeddable database file.

The problem isn't so much the database itself, as I can think of a
number of way to encrypt the data it contains, but some of the data is
simply names of image and video files contained elsewhere in the
file-system. Is there anyway to prevent a user from simply opening up
the file-system from outside of the application and viewing the files?
One way that I can think of would be to encode the image/video files as
BLOBS and store them in the database itself, but apart from that option,
can anyone suggest other ways? I'm currently working with python2.7
under Windows7, but I'm hoping to extend the application to Linux and
Mac also. Thank you for your help.

Best regards,
Tim