How to compile on OS X PPC? was: Re: [RELEASED] Python 3.2

Irmen de Jong irmen at -NOSPAM-xs4all.nl
Tue Feb 22 13:33:25 EST 2011

On 20-02-11 23:22, Georg Brandl wrote:
> On behalf of the Python development team, I'm delighted to announce
> Python 3.2 final release.

Thanks to all the people who worked on this.

However, I'm having trouble compiling a framework build from source on
Mac OS 10.5.8 on PowerPC.  No matter what I try (gcc 4.0, gcc 4.2,
different compiler options), the compilation aborts with the following
error:

Undefined symbols:
   "___fixdfdi", referenced from:
       _rlock_acquire in libpython3.2m.a(_threadmodule.o)
       _lock_PyThread_acquire_lock in libpython3.2m.a(_threadmodule.o)
   "___moddi3", referenced from:
       _PyThread_acquire_lock_timed in libpython3.2m.a(thread.o)
       _acquire_timed in libpython3.2m.a(_threadmodule.o)
   "___divdi3", referenced from:
       _PyThread_acquire_lock_timed in libpython3.2m.a(thread.o)
       _acquire_timed in libpython3.2m.a(_threadmodule.o)
ld: symbol(s) not found
/usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed

Google isn't much help; I tried linking with -lgcc, forcing the
processor architecture to G4, but nothing seems to work ...

Can anyone shed some light on what the compilation flags were that are
used to build python.org's official i386+ppc universal build installer?
Or what other thing I might do wrong?

(Note: I have no trouble compiling a --enable-framework build on Mac OS
10.6.6 on intel.  Also, a non-framework build compiles ok on the PPC mac.)

Thanks in advance.

Irmen de Jong.