Asterisk sign before the 'self' keyword

christian.posta christian.posta at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 10:06:11 EST 2011

I searched quickly to see whether this may have been discussed before,
but it's possible my search criteria was not refined enough to get any
hits. Forgive me if this is a silly question..

I was reading some Python code from a third-party app for the django
project... i saw this in the code and I wasn't certain what it means,
nor could I find anything helpful from google.

Within the __call__ function for a class, I saw a method of that class
referred to like this:

*self.<method_name_here>()

The brackets indicate the method name.
What does the *self refer to??
Does it somehow indicate the scope of the 'self' variable?
Thanks in advance...