frequency of values in a field

noydb jenn.duerr at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 13:36:44 EST 2011

I am looking for ways to go about capturing the frequency of unique
values in one field in a dbf table which contains ~50k records.  The
values are numbers with atleast 5 digits to the right of the decimal,
but I want the frequency of values to only 2 decimal places.  I do
have a method to do this courtesy of a provided tool in ArcGIS.  Was
just curious about ways to do it without arcgis sw, using just python.

Saw this http://code.activestate.com/recipes/277600-one-liner-frequency-count/
using itertools.

I'd be curious to see how experienced pythoners' (or not too
experienced!) would go about doing this.

Thanks for any snippets provided, this should be interesting and
educating!