Pythonification of the asterisk-based collection packing/unpacking syntax

Eelco hoogendoorn.eelco at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 06:55:14 EST 2011

On Dec 28, 11:29 pm, Lie Ryan <lie.1... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/28/2011 11:08 PM, Eelco wrote:
>
> > I personally feel any performance benefits are but a plus; they are
> > not the motivating factor for this idea. I simply like the added
> > verbosity and explicitness, thats the bottom line.
>
> Any performance benefits are a plus, I agree, as long as it doesn't make
> my language looks like Perl. Now get off my lawn!

Im no perl expert, but it says on the wikipedia page a common
criticism is its overuse of otherwise meaningless special characters;
and I would agree; I puked a little in my mouth looking at the code
samples.

I would argue that the use of single special characters to signal a
relatively complex and uncommon construct is exactly what I am trying
to avoid with this proposal.