Python education survey

Lie Ryan lie.1296 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 16:13:03 EST 2011

On 12/28/2011 05:11 AM, Rick Johnson wrote:
> On Dec 27, 11:50 am, Lie Ryan<lie.1... at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> In case you haven't realised it, it is pretty
>> much impossible for a large open source project to "die"; even if Guido
>> decided to remove IDLE from the standard library
>
> I don't remember stating that Python would die if IDLE was removed
> (not sure if you misunderstood me or you're just making a general
> statement???). My belief is that the atrocious state of IDLE and
> Tkinter's code bases are making us look bad as a community. And i can
> go either way on the issue; remove them both, or enrich them both.
> Either way we improve on the current situation.  My point is that we
> CANNOT just ignore the issue.

The point is, I didn't think it's such a pressing issue. I haven't seen
anyone in or outside Python communities making their conclusion about
Python based on IDLE.

In any case, removing IDLE without a much better replacement is pretty
much out of the question. If people installed Python in vanilla Windows
install, they would only have Notepad to edit their code.