Python education survey

Lie Ryan lie.1296 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 12:53:19 EST 2011

On 12/27/2011 10:41 PM, Eelco wrote:

> *Your suggestion of VIM is especially objectionable. Though I am sure
> it is a great tool to you, the subject here is beginner education.
> Just because it is a good tool for you, does not make it a good tool
> for a beginner.

Before using VIM, I used to use gedit (and still do, though not as often
now); I don't think I've ever had any problem with not using a full
blown IDE with Python. I generally don't miss not using an IDE since
Python doesn't have the tradition of using overly verbose names like in
Java.

I'm personally of the opinion that beginners generally should start with
a simple programmer text editors (gedit is a good example). Firstly, you
don't want to confuse beginners with IDE vs language features; secondly,
at the size of the problem beginners typically had, they don't **need**
95% of those features; and if you teach beginners powerful IDE features
too early, by the time their problem gets big enough that the IDE
features would actually help, they'd already forgotten about them.