Regular expressions

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 19:00:08 EST 2011

On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 10:45 AM, mauriceling at acm.org
<mauriceling at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am trying to change <one string> to <another string>.
>
> Can anyone help me with the regular expressions needed?

A regular expression defines a string based on rules. Without seeing a
lot more strings, we can't know what possibilities there are for each
part of the string. You probably know your data better than we ever
will, even eyeballing the entire set of strings; just write down, in
order, what the pieces ought to be - for instance, the first token
might be a literal @ sign, followed by three upper-case letters, then
a hyphen, then any number of alphanumerics followed by a colon, etc.
Once you have that, it's fairly straightforward to translate that into
regex syntax.

ChrisA