Is my IDLE problem caused by .idlerc? Permissions.

W. eWatson wolftracks at invalid.com
Mon Dec 26 14:37:41 EST 2011

On 12/26/2011 10:16 AM, W. eWatson wrote:
> On 12/24/2011 11:35 AM, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
>> On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 10:55:48 -0800, "W. eWatson"
>> <wolftracks at invalid.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Permissions as follows:
>>> SYSTEM: All. From Full control to write
>>> Account Unknown(S-1-5-21...): read&exec, Read
>>> Wayne: (normal use) All. From Full control to write
>>> Admin: All. From Full control to write
>>> WMPNetwork: Read
>>>
>>> Comments?
>>>
>>> .idlerc permissions are slightly different for Account Unknown.
>>
>> "Account Unknown" refers to a user account that has been deleted
>> (or, via some other system corruption, is no longer associated with a
>> login name -- happened to me earlier this year: my user account "name"
>> had been "Wulfraed" but the user account directory was under "Dennis Lee
>> Bieber"... When the registry crashed it disconnected name "Wulfraed"
>> from directory "Dennis Lee Bieber"... Lost a month of email once I got
>> done creating a new user account where directory and name matched and
>> restored from backup [I failed to back-up the old user directory before
>> trying a remove/create user]).
>>
>> My suggestion would be, first, remove privileges for that remnant
>> account where-ever found; check higher directory levels too, and try to
>> propagate the privilege downwards.
>>
>> Second -- could the file itself be set for read-only on the simple
>> properties? I just tested with Win7 -- setting the general "read-only"
>> did not make any changes to any of the security tab "users". Third,
>> confirm the owner of the file is your current user account; if not,see
>> if you can get "take ownership" option for the file to work.
>>

> I wonder if removing the "Account Unknown" account might just do it. Not
> quite familiar with Owner, but I'll look around.
>
> I'll check the file for "read only".
Solved. Moving .idlerc to another folder for safe keeping, and letting
IDLE create a new .idlerc folder did it. I don't have the slightest idea
why that worked, but the troublesome file was dated 2/2010, probably
from installing 2.5.2, and never touched again by attempts either to
re-install 2.5.2 or move up to 2.7.2.