Early and late binding [was Re: what does 'a=b=c=[]' do]

alex23 wuwei23 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 19:10:35 EST 2011

On Dec 25, 9:25 am, Devin Jeanpierre <jeanpierr... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > If Python was ever 'fixed' to prevent this issue, I'm pretty sure we'd
> > see an increase in the number of questions like the OP's.
>
> What makes you so sure? Both models do make sense and are equally
> valid, it's just that only one of them is true. Is it just because
> people already used to Python would get confused?

Because I believe that the source of confusion has far more to do with
mutable/immutable objects than with early/late binding. Masking or
'correcting' an aspect of Python's behaviour because novices make the
wrong assumption about it just pushes the problem elsewhere and
potentially makes the language inconsistent at the same time.