Cannot Remove Python Libs from XP

W. eWatson wolftracks at invalid.com
Fri Dec 23 14:51:29 EST 2011

On 12/22/2011 1:21 PM, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 09:53:04 -0800, "W. eWatson"
> <wolftracks at invalid.com>  wrote:
>
>> I have three py libs and the python program itself, 2.52, installed on
>> an 6 year old HP Laptop. I decided to remove them, and took removed
>> Python with the Control Panel ?Add/Remove icon. Worked fine. When I try
>> to remove any of the remaining libs, press the add/remove button does
>> nothing but blink. How  do I get around this  problem?
>
> 	It would probably have been better to remove the libraries first
> (especially if their installers /used/ Python to do the install; the
> uninstaller would then likely also have used that version of Python). In
> short, uninstalling a set of related packages should be done in the
> reverse order of how they were installed.
>
> 	If you don't have anything private stored in the remains of the
> Python2.5.2 install directory... Just delete the entire directory tree
> (which should get rid of any left-over files from the other libraries).
>
> 	Removing them from the Add/Remove control might be achieved by using
> a registry cleaner; if not, manually scanning the registry for those
> package names and deleting the registry keys may suffice (back up the
> registry first -- export everything from the top down). Then run a
> registry cleaner, as there may be stray GUID keys that eventually mapped
> to the deleted keys.
>
> 	Lets see.... {booting even older WinXP laptop -- I'm using a Win7
> laptop with data-card for current online activity}
>
> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\...
>
> 	Look for the particular packages (and anything else you may also
> have removed just in case something got left behind) and delete the
> keys. (Interesting -- I have an entry for wxPython, but no entry for
> Python or ActiveState... They may be stuffed elsewhere -- I also seem to
> have a corrupted search path; maybe happened last time I tried using the
> laptop to debug one of your queries; Pythonwin isn't finding win32ui)

I think this turns out to be something of a laugher. I did re-install
Python 2.5.2; however, the action was similar when I tried to remove the
libs. I happened to move the screen slightly, and noticed a small hidden
dialog behind the Add/Remove screen with a message in it. "Are you sure
you want to remove this program?".  Argh. How foolish it was to hide
that simple dialog. So hitting the add/remove button repeatedly really
was useless.