what does 'a=b=c=[]' do

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Fri Dec 23 10:33:09 EST 2011

On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 06:57:02 -0800, rusi wrote:

> On Dec 23, 6:53 pm, Robert Kern <robert.k... at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 12/23/11 1:23 PM, rusi wrote:
[...]
>> > Of course it should be fixed.  The repeated recurrence of it as a
>> > standard gotcha as well as the python ideas list testifies to that.
>>
>> So you were lying when you said that you did not ask or imply that it
>> should be 'fixed'? Please make up your mind. It's quite rude to
>> "defend" your position by constantly shifting it whenever you get
>> challenged on it.
>
> Meanings of "should" http://www.englishpage.com/modals/should.html My
> first should was the 3rd one
> My second was the 1st one.

Rusi, are you a native English speaker? Because that excuse/defense does
not excuse your comments at all, multiple meanings of "should" or not.
Why not just admit to a mistake? After denying you were asking for Python
to fix a so-called bug, you then called for Python to fix it. If this
were a real argument rather than a friendly debate, people would be
crying "Gotcha!" for sure.

> [And we really should stop this argument (2nd one)]

When the facts are against you, argue semantics; when semantics are
against you, argue the facts; when both are against you, claim to be
above arguing.

--
Steven