Need advice on the design of my application

Chris Kaynor ckaynor at zindagigames.com
Wed Dec 21 17:17:23 EST 2011

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 2:10 PM, carlos choy <happybrowndog at hotmail.com>wrote:

>  Thank you for your great advice.  It is detailed and tells me what I need
> to know, I wasn't expecting such an accurate response from anyone for some
> time.
>
> I think Option 2 is the way I will go.  Having never embedded before, I
> think it will be interesting, besides then my IDE can help me debug more
> easily than Option 1.

Either way is a bit of a mixed bag. Going with extending, it will
(generally) be harder to debug and test the C side of the code, as it is
more difficult to get the C debugger attached. Depending on what IDE you
are using (I am most used to Visual Studio 2010), you can probably set it
up to execute a Python instance with command-line arguments for automatic
attachment. You can also manually attach to the debugger that way.

If you go with embedding, you will likely have a harder time debugging the
Python side, unless you're very careful in your implementation (which you
will need to be anyways) of the embedding. It will also, likely, be harder
to actually step into and debug the code (I use Wing, and at work we have
it setup to be attachable from any process via 2 lines of code).

In either case, it should not be too hard to setup the IDEs to make
debugging easy, but either way, you do not really get automatic support for
one of the two languages. Note that this is generally a problem anytime you
mix multiple languages.