Python education survey

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 20:40:54 EST 2011

On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 19:51:00 -0800, Raymond Hettinger wrote:

> Do you use IDLE when teaching Python? If not, what is the tool of
> choice?

I'm obviously biased (I started IPython years ago), but I've done a lot
of teaching and I still do like the combination of IPython plus an
editor.  Sometimes I use IDLE configured to only open the editor and not
the shell, but I recommend that users learn a 'real' editor for the long
run (aka emacs/vim), as it's an investment that will pay off many times
over.

But if nothing else, there's at least an OK free editor for each OS that
does work, and I keep a 'starter kit' page with those resources for my
students:

http://fperez.org/py4science/starter_kit.html

Cheers,