Elementwise -//- first release -//- Element-wise (vectorized) function, method and operator support for iterables in python.

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Tue Dec 20 19:28:33 EST 2011

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 16:20:37 -0500, Nathan Rice wrote:

>> Well, that's one opinion. Another opinion is that nobody cares what
>> specific day you release a new version, and that versions 0.191231 and
>> 0.200101 probably aren't that big a difference.
>
> Nobody cares about version numbers in general, except as a way to
> fulfill dependencies.  By using a date code, your versions are
> guaranteed to sort in release order (which is nice, say if someone was
> to download your software via FTP), you can tell what release has what
> ticket fixes in an issue tracker, stuff like that.

*blink*

It must be nice to have software with so few bugs that you can remember
the date you fixed each and every one just from the ticket number.

I don't actually care what version numbering scheme you use. I had just
never come across using part of a date as the version number before, and
I don't think that it is any more recognisable or sensible than any other
arbitrary numbering scheme. And it is arbitrary: the fact that you
happened to make a release on Tuesday rather than Wednesday doesn't have
any meaning (particularly if you're a night owl who is coding at
midnight) and yet you'll assign a different version number to it. To my
mind, the version number should encode (in some sense) the feature set,
not the date you release it.

It also has the serious disadvantage that you're limited to a single
release per day, unless you add an extra field to the version string.

But whatever floats your boat. I'm just glad that you've put your money
where your mouth is, and released the package, instead of demanding
others do the work. Thank you.

--
Steven