[OT] Quick intro to C++ for a Python and C user?

Paul Rubin no.email at nospam.invalid
Tue Dec 20 16:00:22 EST 2011

Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid.invalid> writes:
> Oops. I should have mentioned this is for embedded systems programming
> so templates in general (and STL in particular) are probably off the
> table.

Templates are how C++ does generics and I'd expect them to appear in be
used in embedded programming as well as elsewhere.  They can bloat up
the code if you're not careful (if function f has several parameters,
you can end up with a separate, specialized copy of f for every
combination of types that f is called with in the program), but in the
typical monomorphic situation they don't add any overhead.  I'm not sure
about the situation with STL.  Anyway, templates aren't terribly hard to
understand.