[OT] Quick intro to C++ for a Python and C user?

Paul Rubin no.email at nospam.invalid
Tue Dec 20 14:43:09 EST 2011

Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid.invalid> writes:
> Would anybody care to recommend online C++ resources for a long time C
> and Python user?  (I'm also familiar with Smalltalk, Scheme, FORTRAN,
> bash, Javascript, and a variety of assembly languages.)

Stroustrup's web site has lots of good stuff on it.  I also like his C++
book "The C++ Programming Language" in preference to the many me-too
books that are out there.  He also has another C++ book that I haven't
looked at but which sounded interesting.  C++ is quite a bit different
from those other languages you mention in that contemporary C++ style
revolves a lot more around a reasonably serious static type system with
typed generics.  By comparison, C and Fortran have minimal static type
systems and Smalltalk, Python, etc. have none at all.