Python education survey

Devin Jeanpierre jeanpierreda at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 02:32:54 EST 2011

My university (University of Toronto) helped design Wing 101, and uses
it exclusively in introductory courses.

Overall, the only major sticking points that I saw (as a TA who helped
with the code labs and setup) were installation issues on OS X
(relating to X11) and some confusion on when the embedded interactive
interpreter gets refreshed ("hit run first"). It's a "big" editor with
lots of buttons, but IME students are good at ignoring things.

Truthfully I'm not sure why it's great for teaching, though. And there
were some discussions I overheard about perhaps switching to PyCharm,
which at least one professor thought was much better. And I personally
prefer simpler editors for my own use, not just for educational
purposes. Eh.

-- Devin