% is not an operator [was Re: Verbose and flexible args and kwargs syntax]

Eelco hoogendoorn.eelco at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 02:49:43 EST 2011

On Dec 14, 4:18 am, Steven D'Aprano <steve
+comp.lang.pyt... at pearwood.info> wrote:
> > They might not be willing to define it, but as soon as we programmers
> > do, well, we did.
>
> > Having studied the contemporary philosophy of mathematics, their concern
> > is probably that in their minds, mathematics is whatever some dead guy
> > said it was, and they dont know of any dead guy ever talking about a
> > modulus operation, so therefore it 'does not exist'.
>
> You've studied the contemporary philosophy of mathematics huh?
>
> How about studying some actual mathematics before making such absurd
> pronouncements on the psychology of mathematicians?

The philosophy was just a sidehobby to the study of actual
mathematics; and you are right, studying their works is the best way
to get to know them. Speaking from that vantage point, I can say with
certainty that the vast majority of mathematicians do not have a
coherent philosophy, and they adhere to some loosely defined form of
platonism. Indeed that is absurd in a way. Even though you may trust
these people to be perfectly functioning deduction machines, you
really shouldnt expect them to give sensible answers to the question
of which are sensible axioms to adopt. They dont have a reasoned
answer to this, they will by and large defer to authority.