logging issues

Andrea Crotti andrea.crotti.0 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 12:03:01 EST 2011

And by the way suppose I have a script which takes as input the log
level and a list of possible filters.
In another file I have a couple of functions as below which are called
in that order.

Is that supposed to work?
In theory I'm getting both times the same logger.
The set_verbosity seems to do its job, the second is also
called and the filters are added but I don't see the output
formatted as it should..
Maybe I can only set it up once?

def set_verbosity(log_level):
     """Set the desired log level
     """
     root_logger = logging.getLogger()
     root_logger.setLevel(LOG_LEVELS[log_level])

def setup_logging(to_filter):
     root_logger = logging.getLogger()
     hdlr = logging.StreamHandler()
     formatter = logging.Formatter('%(asctime)s %(levelname)s %(message)s')
     hdlr.setFormatter(formatter)
     # a list of regular expressions to filter out?
     if to_filter:
         for f in to_filter:
             logger.debug("adding filter for name %s" % f)
             filt = logging.Filter(f)
             hdlr.addFilter(filt)

     root_logger.addHandler(hdlr)