[OT] Book authoring

Andrea Crotti andrea.crotti.0 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 11:25:28 EST 2011

On 12/09/2011 03:25 AM, Miki Tebeka wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Any recommendations for a book authoring system that supports the following:
> 1. Code examples (with syntax highlighting and line numbers)
> 2. Output HTML, PDF, ePub ...
> 3. Automatic TOC and index
> 4. Search (in HTML) - this is a "nice to have"
>
> Can I somehow use Sphinx?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Miki

I think it depends on what you want exactly.
If it's a nice book with a scientific look and many complicated
tables/figures
than I think that LaTeX is the way to go (maybe even org-mode but it's
mainly
for emacs-fans).

The problem with LaTeX is that it's quite tricky to export to other
formats, harder
to learn and not as flexible as a python-based solution as Sphinx.
I would suggest to try Sphinx and see if you're missing something..