Misleading error message of the day

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Thu Dec 8 10:33:50 EST 2011

On Thursday, December 8, 2011 10:03:38 AM UTC-5, Jean-Michel Pichavant wrote:
> string are iterable, considering this, the error is correct.

Yes, I understand that the exception is correct.  I'm not saying the exception should be changed, just that we have the opportunity to produce a more useful error message.  The exception would be equally correct if it was:

ValueError: you did something wrong

but most people would probably agree that it's not the most useful message that could have been produced.