Multiprocessing bug, is my editor (SciTE) impeding my progress?

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Wed Dec 7 01:57:09 EST 2011

On Tue, 06 Dec 2011 16:30:16 -0800, John Ladasky wrote:

>> I would start with the line that fails 'put(task)', and work backwards
>> to see where 'task' comes from and how it could become None. It is even
>> possible that multiprocessing.pool has a bug that you ran into.
>
> Oh, please don't say that.  I'm no computer scientist, and Python has
> been scrutinized by so many professionals.  I couldn't have possibly
> found a language bug.

"Professional" just means they get paid for doing it. Professionals gave
us the 2008 banking collapse, the Challenger shuttle explosion, the
sinking of the Titanic, trench warfare in World War I, the Chernobyl
nuclear meltdown, leaded petrol, "Battlefield Earth" the movie, and the BP
Gulf of Mexico oil spill. Amateurs gave us the discovery of electricity,
the Roomba, the original Apple computer, GNU software, Linux, Ogg/Vorbis,
and the discovery of continental drift.

While your modesty is a welcome change from n00bs who imagine that
anything about Python that they misunderstood is a bug, don't sell
yourself short. You don't need to be a computer scientist to identify
bugs in software.

--
Steven