Complete beginner, any help appreciated :) - For Loops

Mark markpackt at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 05:53:51 EST 2011

Hi there,

I'm a complete beginner to Python and, aside from HTML and CSS, to coding in general. I've spent a few hours on it and think I understand most of the syntax.

However, I'm wondering a bit about For Loops. I know that the basic syntax for them is to define a list, and then to use something like:

for x in y

However, what does "for" and "in" mean in this context? Can anyone help me to understand this? I know it's a really basic question, but hopefully it will see me on my way to coding properly :)

Thanks a lot.