How to save the packages received by a network interface or some port in a file and resend the packages received when needed?

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Wed Aug 31 10:36:16 EDT 2011

On 2011-08-31, Matty Sarro <msarro at gmail.com> wrote:

> Its possible using TCPDUMP and wireshark. however its a bit of a
> manual process (open the pcap in wireshark, select the correct tcp
> stream, and extract the file).

Presumably the OP knows the port IP address and port number on which
the server is listening, so wouldn't it be simpler to just capture TCP
traffic to/from that IP/port?

Then you can play it back using tcprewrite, tcpreplay, et al.

But, I don't see how that's going to work.  The OP seems to want to
capture a TCP session and then "replay it" so that the client from the
session ends up talking to a different server during the replay. The
chances of the new server starting up a connection with the same ACK
sequence number is practially nil isn't it?

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! ... this must be what
                                  at               it's like to be a COLLEGE