killing a script

Russ P. russ.paielli at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 23:08:25 EDT 2011

On Aug 28, 7:51 pm, Chris Angelico <ros... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 12:41 PM, Russ P. <russ.paie... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Aug 28, 6:52 pm, MRAB <pyt... at mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:
> >> You could look at the return value of os.system, which may tell you the
> >> exit status of the process.
>
> > Thanks for the suggestion. Yeah, I guess I could do that, but it seems
> > that there should be a simpler way to just kill the "whole enchilada."
> > Hitting Control-C over and over is a bit like whacking moles.
>
> I believe the idea of this suggestion is for the outer script to
> notice that the inner script terminated via Ctrl-C, and would then
> immediately choose to terminate itself - thus avoiding the
> whack-a-mole effect.
>
> ChrisA

Yes, but if I am not mistaken, that will require me to put a line or
two after each os.system call. That's almost like whack-a-mole at the
code level rather than the Control-C level. OK, not a huge deal for
one script, but I was hoping for something simpler. I was hoping I
could put one line at the top of the script and be done with it.

--Russ P.