Mastering Python... Best Resources?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 09:28:03 EDT 2011

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 10:58 PM, Travis Parks <jehugaleahsa at gmail.com> wrote:
> I haven't gotten to the point where I can truly use the language
> features to my full advantage. I haven't seen enough "tricks" to be
> effective. I feel like there is so much of the language I am not
> utilizing because I'm still thinking in terms of a less powerful
> language. I was hoping to find a series that would familiarize me with
> how real Python programmers get things done.

Ah! Then I recommend poking around with the standard library. No
guarantees that it's ALL good code, but it probably will be. In any
case, it sounds like you're well able to evaluate code in your own
head and recognize the good from the ugly.

In the source distribution (I'm looking at the latest straight from
hg, but presumably it's the same everywhere), there's a whole lot of
.py files in ./Lib - there's sure to be some good examples in there
somewhere.

ChrisA