Windows No-Install Distribution?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Aug 23 19:28:47 EDT 2011

On 8/23/2011 5:56 PM, Eric Lemings wrote:
> On Aug 23, 1:52 pm, Stephen Hansen<me+list/pyt... at ixokai.io>  wrote:
>> On 8/23/11 8:29 AM, Eric Lemings wrote:
>>
>>> I would like to create/find a Python 3.x distribution that can be
>>> redeployed simply by copying a directory of required files; i.e.
>>
>> Just take the default installer, install it,

except do a custom install and leave out what you do not want. (Tools?
tcl/tk/idle?). You can leave out tests, but then you might want that, at
least once, to test your no-install copy.

>> and then check the Python
>> directory: does it have the python DLL? If not, go look into the
>> system32 directory, grab it, drop it in the Python directory. (If you
>> installed for all-users this will happen,

For Python3, python3.dll in in Python3y\DLLs even for all users install.
I believe this is per MS recommendation. So just copy the entire
python3y directory.

> Which files comprise the standard Python library?  Only the files in
> the 'Lib' subdirectory
That only has Python-coded modules.

> or are more needed?
C-coded modules are in /DLLs. I presume /libs is needed too but I do not
really know, and I will not experiment.

Just limit your install to what you want and copy everything.

--
Terry Jan Reedy