Stop quoting spam [was Re: Hot Girls ...]

D'Arcy J.M. Cain darcy at druid.net
Sat Aug 20 10:50:35 EDT 2011

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 08:17:32 -0400
David Robinow <drobinow at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I found said joke rather funny :P
>  Perhaps, as a retired amateur comedian, my standards are too high,

How does one retire from amateur status?  Do you suddenly start
charging for telling jokes?  :-)

> but I don't think adding a smilie to a stupid post suddenly turns it
> into a joke. Nevertheless, the quality of the attempt is not really
> the issue here. The would-be humorist did not need to quote the spam.

Well, exactly.  I don't think that anyone made any comment about the
quality of the joke when talking about the first posting.  The only
thing that people said was that he shouldn't have repeated the spam.
Everyone, including the original poster, who defended the post did so
on the grounds that it was funny.  That's certainly debatable but no
one was telling him not to post until he gets funnier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Whether the post was funny or not is a judgment call.  No one is saying
not to post unfunny jokes because no one is the arbiter of what's
funny.  If you want to argue with the complainers, argue with their
actual complaint.  Tell us why it is OK to repeat spam with all the
spammy URLS intact

By the way, my joke above is hilarious.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy at druid.net>         |  Democracy is three wolves