Word Perfect integration

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Aug 18 16:19:33 EDT 2011

On 8/18/2011 3:24 PM, Ethan Furman wrote:
> Alec Taylor wrote:
>> wow, people still use WordPerfect?
>
> Them's fightin' words right there! :)
>
> Yes, we still use Word Perfect, and will as long as it is available. The
> ability to see the codes in use (bold, margins, columns, etc) has so far
> been unequaled in anything else I have looked at.

Definitely. I did a book with WP and periodically went through with
codes revealed to delete any junk and got the camera-ready copy I
wanted. I have recently used OpenO modeled after MSO and occasionally
get frustrated when I cannot see what it actually inserts, to explain
why it does not behave as expected.

That aside, if you are on Windows, check the list archives for 'office
automation' or somesuch. If WP has the standard API, I believe the
answer is to use the PythonWin extensions, included with the ActiveState
Python distribution and available on SourceForge.
There is a windows module includes in the stdlib, but I do not know if
it has enough.

--
Terry Jan Reedy