Measure the amount of memory used?

Dan Stromberg drsalists at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 13:48:36 EDT 2011

"A person with one watch knows what time it is.  A person with two is never
sure."

You're probably best off just picking one or more measures that work for
your purposes, and going with them.  Don't concern yourself overmuch with
finding "the" amount.

Memory can actually contract on some modern systems, due to garbage
collection and the relatively new ability of some malloc's to mmap away
no-longer-needed pages.

Going directly to /proc is fine, though it might be a little more common
(and portable) to run ps and let it sift through /proc.  But of course,
running ps over and over is less efficient.