Why no warnings when re-assigning builtin names?

Seebs usenet-nospam at seebs.net
Wed Aug 17 14:09:30 EDT 2011

On 2011-08-17, Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> wrote:
> Part of the fun of Python is experimentation.  And how much fun is it to
> be told over and over, "No, you can't do that"?

Okay, I buy that.

Actually, this sort of fits with my experience of how (sane) people do it
in Ruby.

And I'm really the wrong person to criticize people for monkey-patching:

	http://www.yoctoproject.org/projects/pseudo

(In which I monkeypatch *the entire Unix filesystem API*.  On Linux and
OS X.  For C programs.)

I guess maybe my question shouldn't have been "why is it allowed", but "and
why is it bad to use it?"  It just seemed like "you should never do this,
it's horrible" and "we're proud of being able to do this" were not entirely
compatible.

-s
--
Copyright 2011, all wrongs reversed.  Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam at seebs.net