Linux : create a user if not exists

smain kahlouch smainklh at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 10:57:27 EDT 2011

Ok than you. You're right but it doesn't help me :
I replaced it :

>>> def finduser(user):
...     if pwd.getpwnam(user):
...             print user, "user exists"
...             return True
...     return False
>>> finduser('realuser')
realuser user exists
True
>>> finduser('blabla')
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "<stdin>", line 2, in finduser
KeyError: 'getpwnam(): name not found: blabla'

As you can see, i just want to look for a user and if it doesn't exist, an
action is taken (create user).
Maybe you have another way to do that check ?

Thank you