Problem installing 3.2.1 on a Linux server

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Aug 15 00:40:51 EDT 2011

On 8/14/2011 8:56 PM, John S James wrote:
> Thanks, your reply helped. The problem seems to be the autoconfig -- I
> was using version 2.59 instead of 2.68. However, the host will not let
> users install 2.68.
>
> So I'm sending them feedback, suggesting a number of reasons for
> supporting 3.2 for their server accounts, including:
>
> * Popularity of Python, TIOBE recognition;
> * Wide consensus that new Python programmers should learn version 3,
> unless they must maintain legacy software;
> * 3.2 will be around for at least another year before 3.3 is released;
> * Lack of 3.2 in low-cost hosts (3.1 is available) -- a competitive
> advantage;
> * 3.2 improves future library compatibility, vs. 3.1;

A mountain of library improvement that could not go in 3.1.

> * Installing 3.2 should not affect any existing customers, unless they
> choose to use it.

With 3.1 in security-fix only mode, the multiple fixes each day only go
in 3.2 and 3.3.

> We should explore why hosting services are resistant to supporting the
> current version of Python (plus an important older version, 2.7). Other

Seeing and occasionally participating in the development work to improve
Python, such resistance makes me sad. Not their concern, of course, but
depriving their customers is.

--
Terry Jan Reedy