allow line break at operators

Dave Angel davea at ieee.org
Sun Aug 14 17:46:03 EDT 2011

On 01/-10/-28163 02:59 PM, Roy Smith wrote:
> In article<4e47db26$0$30002$c3e8da3$5496439d at news.astraweb.com>,
>   Steven D'Aprano<steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info>  wrote:
>
>> Er, most URLs are case insensitive, at least the most common ones, including
>> HTTP and HTTPS. So I don't quite see why you think this was a Whoops.
> URLs are most certainly not case insensitive.  Parts of them may be
> (i.e. the scheme and host parts), but not the stuff after the hostname.

The thing that confuses people is that not only is the part up to and
through the domain name is case-insensitive, but that simple pages on
Windows become case-insensitive for the remainder simply because Windows
is such.

And the same page hosted on Linux would be case sensitive, per
specification.

The thing I find annoying is a host that decides that if a URL is close
to an existing URL, it'll fix one or two "typos."  To me, it's either
right, or it's not.  Don't change     www.mydomain.com/page105.html
to  www/mydomain.com/page102.html and pretend it's "close enough."

DaveA