What Programing Language are the Largest Website Written In?

Tim Bradshaw tfb at tfeb.org
Fri Aug 12 11:58:50 EDT 2011

On 2011-08-02 15:41:06 +0100, ccc31807 said:

> Most of these are tech companies. Tech companies are very important,
> but so are other kinds of companies. What do manufacturing companies
> use, like Ford and Toyota, energy companies like BP and Exxon,
> pharmaceutical companies, consumer product companies, and so on? What
> about the big retailers, Sears, WalMart, Target, etc.?

A more important metric is how critical the web presence is to the
company.  For Amazon, say, it's pretty critical, so what they do is
likely to be interesting: if their site is broken they're not making
any money.  For Toyota, say, well, an outage would probably be
embarrassing, but it's not anything like as critical to them.

Unfortunatly I suspect that with web stuff as with other stuff, the
answer is that it entirely depends.  I am endlessly horrified by the
poor state of software that is really critical to large companies.