generate and send mail with python: tutorial

aspineux aspineux at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 08:59:40 EDT 2011

On Aug 12, 8:51 am, Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfr... at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 08:07:09 -0700 (PDT), aspineux <aspin... at gmail.com>
>
> > Hi I have written a tutorial about how to generate and send emails
> > with python.
>
>         Is that really such a difficult task?

Yes it's difficult to make an _universal_ mail parser, able to handle
mails from different MUA, using different charsets.
Some emails that break RFC's requires at least some background
to know which rules can be missed by some MUA !

Handle mail from a unique source or similar sources is easy.
Using try and error method is fine for this kind of job, you don't
even need to care if the email you're parsing match the RFC's or not.

My "parser" functions have been tested over 20.000 mails from all
around the world using some human and automated verifications !

Generating emails is not easy, when mixing internationalized
addresses,
subject and content. Integrating text, html, attachment and embedded
images in one single email looks to me difficult enough to require
some explanations.

At least read carefully all my articles to get an idea about the
difficulty,
this is what I try to explain.

Regards.