allow line break at operators

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Fri Aug 12 07:16:55 EDT 2011

Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> writes:

> Ben Finney wrote:
>
> > Likewise, “end of line as end of statement” has caused me and many
> > others problems.
>
> I don't understand this. Can you give an example?

Many times I have split a line expecting that some bracketing syntax
will cause the statement to continue across the split. I've been wrong,
and the code either gave a SyntaxError or, worse, did something
functional but unintended.

That is a problem only because end-of-line (outside some bracketing
syntax) ends a statement.

My point is that I consider that problem to be at least on par in the
severity of the problems caused by indentation-as-block-syntax. That is,
very small compared with the great benefit of the clean and readable
syntax that results.

--
 \     “Not to be absolutely certain is, I think, one of the essential |
  `\                         things in rationality.” —Bertrand Russell |