allow line break at operators

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Fri Aug 12 06:39:44 EDT 2011

Seebs <usenet-nospam at seebs.net> writes:

> Question for y'all:
>
> Has anyone here ever ACTUALLY encountered a case where braces -- not
> indentation -- did not match intent in a C-like language?  I'm talking
> only about cases where braces are *actually present*.

What a strange limitation. Why are you not comparing apples with apples?

The correct comparison would be “getting the braces to match the
intended structure” compared with “getting the indentation to match the
intended structure”.

> The Python community, as a whole, seems particularly dogmatic about
> the indentation thing. And coming here as someone who doesn't much
> like it, and has been bitten by it a few times...

As you say, the data is thin on the ground for this issue. Would you
accept the charge that you're being just as dogmatic about the
superiority of braces-as-block-syntax?

If so, good for you; we're all equally dogmatic by your definition.
Let's move on.

If not, what makes your position less dogmatic than ours?

--
 \       “We jealously reserve the right to be mistaken in our view of |
  `\      what exists, given that theories often change under pressure |