TypeError: 'module' object is not callable

MRAB python at mrabarnett.plus.com
Thu Aug 11 20:22:20 EDT 2011

On 11/08/2011 23:43, Forafo San wrote:
> I wrote a class, Univariate, that resides in a directory that is in my PYTHONPATH. I'm able to import that class into a *.py file. However when I try to instantiate an object with that class like:
>
> x = Univariate(a)             # a is a list that is expected by the Univariate class
>
> python raises the TypeError: 'module' object is not callable.  If I embed the code of the Univariate class in my *.py file, there is no problem.  Also, when the class is imported and I do a
>
> print dir(Univariate)
>
> it does not print all the methods that are in the class, while if the class code appears in my *.py file, all the methods are available and a list with the correct methods are printed.
>
> What gives?

I think you mat be confusing the class with the module.

When you write:

     import Univariate

you're importing the module.

If the module is called "Univariate" and the class within the module is
called "Univariate" then you should either write:

     import Univariate
     x = Univariate.Univariate(a) # the class Univariate in the module
Univariate

or:

     from Univariate import Univariate
     x = Univariate(a)

Incidentally, it's recommended that module names use lowercase, so that
would be:

     import univariate
     x = univariate.Univariate(a)