String concatenation - which is the fastest way ?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 07:58:36 EDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 12:52 PM,  <przemolicc at poczta.fm> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 11:59:31AM +0100, Chris Angelico wrote:
>> There's no guarantee that all of that 256GB is available to you, of course.
>
> I am the admin of this server - the memory is available for us :-)

Hehe. I mean to any particular application; obviously you're way WAY
beyond the 4GB limit of a 32-bit app, though there may be other
limits; the main consideration here is contention - whatever Oracle
itself is using, your concatenation app can't.

>> You'll need to do some serious profiling, though, to ascertain where
>> the bottleneck really is. Is it actually slow doing the concatenation,
>> or is it taking more time reading/writing the disk? Is it actually all
>> just taking time due to RAM usage? Proper string concatenation doesn't
>> need a huge amount of CPU.
>
> I did my homework :-) - the CPU working on concatenation is a bottleneck.

Glad you have! So many people don't. Looks like you have a plan there, then!

ChrisA