allow line break at operators

Seebs usenet-nospam at seebs.net
Thu Aug 11 00:59:34 EDT 2011

On 2011-08-11, Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote:
> Seebs wrote:
>> On 2011-08-10, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> And if we require {} then truly free indentation should be OK too! But
>>> it wouldn't be Python any more.

>> Would it really not be Python at all?

> Of course it wouldn't be. Every function, class, if, while, for,
> try...except block etc. in existing Python code would be illegal if {} were
> required.

So?

Since there has never been an indentation-related problem in the history
of human endeavors, automatically adding the braces would be completely
trivial.

How much of the language *specification* would change?

> In general, languages that aim to look like executable pseudo-code will
> converge on a similar look, because executable pseudo-code tends to be
> based on natural language (usually English) and mathematics syntax.

This is an interesting point.  I guess I meant "look like" in a more abstract
sense; the basic idea of what it's like to read the code, and what you have
to keep in mind while doing so.

-s
--
Copyright 2011, all wrongs reversed.  Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam at seebs.net