allow line break at operators

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Thu Aug 11 00:18:50 EDT 2011

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 12:52 pm Yingjie Lan wrote:

> :And if we require {} then truly free indentation should be OK too! But
>
> :it wouldn't be Python any more.
>
> Of course, but not the case with ';'. Currently ';' is optional in Python,
> But '{' is used for dicts. Clearly, ';' and '{' are different in
> magnitude.
>
> So the decision is: shall we change ';' from optional to mandatory
> to allow free line splitting?

Why on earth would you want to break backwards compatibility of millions of
Python scripts and programs, and require extra, unnecessary line-noise on
every single line of Python code, just so that you can occasionally avoid a
writing a pair of parentheses?

This will never happen. Forget it. Python is more likely to get static types
than compulsory semi-colons.

--
Steven