allow line break at operators

Yingjie Lan lanyjie at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 10 22:58:22 EDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Yingjie Lan <lanyjie at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Is it possible for python to allow free splitting of single-line statements
> without the backslashes, if we impose that expressions can only be split
> when it is not yet a finished expression?

:The trouble is that in a lot of cases, the next statement after an
:unfinished expression could conceivably be a continuation of it. If
:this were permitted, it would have to also require that the
:continuation lines be indented, to avoid the problem described above.
:It'd still have the potential to mis-diagnose errors, though.

Indentation is a good idea to reduce the likelihood of such troubles.
and also produce code that is easier to read.

Yingjie