allow line break at operators

Yingjie Lan lanyjie at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 10 08:58:24 EDT 2011

> On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 10:56 AM, Dan Sommers <dan at tombstonezero.net>

> wrote:
>> In terms of easier to read, I find code easier to read when the
>> operators are at the beginnings of the lines (PEP 8 notwithstanding):
>>
>>    x = (someobject.somemethod(object3, thing)
>>         + longfunctionname(object2)
>>         + otherfunction(value1, value2, value3))
>>

> Without the parentheses, this is legal but (probably) useless; it
> applies the unary + operator to the return value of those functions.

:No, in some other languages it might be legal, but this is Python.
:without the parentheses it is a syntax error.

This discussion leads me to this question:

Is it possible for python to allow free splitting of single-line statements
without the backslashes, if we impose that expressions can only be split
when it is not yet a finished expression? Note: splitting before closing
parenthis, brace, or bracket can be viewed as special case of this
more general rule.

Yingjie