Object Diffs

Dan Stromberg drsalists at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 20:11:39 EDT 2011

You probably need a recursive algorithm to be fully general, and yes,
looking at pickle might be a good place to start.  Note that pickle can't
pickle everything, but it can handle most things.

Also check out NX - not the CPU feature, but the (re)transmission
compressing software (there are two different things with the name "NX").
NX is remarkably good at dealing with things like VNC sessions with virtual
desktops, as long as you don't throw a movie at it - and it's more general
than just doing VNC.

Note that sometimes computing a diff and sending the differences may end up
being slower than transmitting the whole object.

You might also check out pyro and similar tools.