Hardlink sub-directories and files

Kushal Kumaran kushal.kumaran+python at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 02:32:07 EDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 7:29 AM, Dan Stromberg <drsalists at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 3:13 AM, Thomas Jollans <t at jollybox.de> wrote:
>>
>> On 02/08/11 11:32, loial wrote:
>> > I am trying to hardlink all files in a directory structure using
>> > os.link.
>> >
>> > However I do not think it is possible to hard link directories ?
>
> That is pretty true.  I've heard of hardlinked directories on Solaris, but
> that's kind of an exception to the general rule.

In APUE, Richard Stevens says only root could do this, if it is
supported by the system at all.  In a footnote, he additionally
mentions he screwed up his filesystem by creating a loop of hardlinked
directories while writing that section of the book.

I suppose it is a good thing systems don't allow that now.

--
regards,
kushal