Spam

Ghodmode ghodmode at ghodmode.com
Mon Aug 1 23:58:10 EDT 2011

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 3:17 AM, harrismh777 <harmar at member.fsf.org> wrote:

> Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>
>> I've noticed that python-list gets significantly more spam than the
>>>
>> Thanks for that! I missed it the first time, so it is very helpful for you
>> to forward it. It's especially helpful that you included all the spammer's
>> URLs, as that will help improve their Google page ranks. I'm sure the
>> spammer will thank you for your assistance.
>>

> Yeah, a couple of good rules to follow for well intentioned citizens:
> 1) don't feed the trolls
> 2) don't repackage spam

I hope it's clear that reading an email doesn't constitute visiting all of
the sites linked in the email and therefore doesn't improve Google page
ranks or provide any other tracking information.  Also note that the
original email didn't have anything like a tracking pixel.  Even the urls
were just text.  They only became links if the readers' email client turned
them into links.  My email wasn't dangerous or helpful to the spammer in any
way.

Having said that, either because I was tired or because I dropped my
> defensive posture, I have messed up on those two little rules more than
> once.
>
> It is possible to filter spam very effectively. My mail client has a
> spam-can based on a multitude of trial and guess rules that with almost oh
> 97 percent rate puts the right stuff into the can and saves me the trouble
> of manually filtering it. Granted, I still need to quickly peek through the
> can files... but this is pretty easy to do... because non spam shows up like
> a rose among thorns in a spam-can.
>
> The trouble is that this group does like to debate off-topic stuff
> frequently (usually its at least edge related to Python) and so who is to
> tell (as a moderator) what is spam?  Well, your example is fairly obvious,
> but other stuff (even like this note) may not be. I don't consider this
> spam, because its related to this list and because I am interested in the
> same issue as your OP complaint. But, I am absolutely sure that others will
> view your note, and mine, as spam... see the problem?

I think we have a generally accepted idea of what spam is, and it's much
different from off-topic threads.  An automated system might not be able to
identify the differences as easily, but a person could.  Especially if that
person is an active member of the community and reads all of the threads
anyway.

> --
> m harris
>
> FSF  ...free as in freedom/
> http://webpages.charter.net/**harrismh777/gnulinux/gnulinux.**htm<http://webpages.charter.net/harrismh777/gnulinux/gnulinux.htm>
>
> --

My intentions were constructive and helpful, but it has gotten a little out
of hand.  Based on some of the information provided, my idea might not be
technically feasible anyway.  So, I won't be reading or commenting on this
thread further.  I am truly sorry for any misunderstandings or time lost.

--
Ghodmode
http://www.ghodmode.com/blog