packaging a python application

suresh suresh.amritapuri at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 20:52:32 EDT 2011

Hi
I created a python application which consists of multiple python files and a configuration file. I am not sure, how can I distribute it.

I read distutils2 documentation and a few blogs on python packaging. But I still have the following questions.

1. My package has a configuration file which has to be edited by the user. How do we achieve that?

2. Should the user directly edit the configuration file, or there would be an interface for doing it...?(I remember my sendmail installations in Debian/Ubuntu. It would ask a bunch of questions and the cfg file would be ready)

I am just confused how to go about...

thanks
suresh