Help on instance of closeable_response in module Mechanize

Yingjie Lin Yingjie.Lin at mssm.edu
Mon Aug 22 20:17:47 EDT 2011

Hi Python users,

I have a question about the instance of closeable_response in module Mechanize.

	from mechanize import ParseResponse, urlopen
	url = "http://wwwsearch.sourceforge.net/mechanize/example.html"
	r = urlopen(url)
	forms = ParseResponse(r, backwards_compat=False)
	html_lines = r.read()

If I call ParseResponse() before r.read(), then lforms would be a list containing one form
instance, and html_lines would be an empty string. If I call r.read() first, then html_lines
would be the HTML source code of the page, but forms would be an empty list.

Therefore, I have to open the url twice, once for each function, like this:

	r = urlopen(url)
	forms = ParseResponse(r, backwards_compat=False)
	r = urlopen(url)
	html_lines = r.read()

I believe this shouldn't be necessary. What is the proper way of doing it? Thank you.

- Yingjie